Just a few miles west of Drogheda, and less than 10 miles from the sandy dunes and clear beaches of the coast, is the village of Slane. The Conynghams, having been awarded the surrounding lands after the Jacobites suffered defeat at the hands of William of Orange, developed Slane as an 18th century model village. At the centre of the town sits four identical Georgian houses. These houses, and their intersecting streets, form an octagon that the rest of the village was built around. There is a Village Development Plan in operation, but Meath County Council proposed that Slane village and the nearby mill be recognized as architecturally significant, and remain protected.
It was on the Hill of Slane that St Patrick dared to defy High King Laoire by lighting his first Paschal fire, after the High King had forbidden it, in 433 AD. This act of defiance impressed King Laoire enough to allow St Patrick to continue his missionary work.
The top of the Hill is the sight of the remains of the friary church that had been restored in 1512 and include a sixty foot tall Gothic tower. This church is said to be built on the ruins of the abbey and monastery founded by St Patrick and left under the care of St Erc.
The ancient burial tombs that have stood at Brú na Bóinne for over five millennia are accessed from Slane. As is Slane Castle, which has become famous for hosting yearly concerts for up to 80,000 people and include major international rock and pop acts.