The Newton Monuments, made up of a cathedral, a church and two monastery buildings, can be found roughly ten miles south of Navan, just outside of Trim.
The Priory of John the Baptist was founded by monks of the Order of the Holy Cross in 1206, on the southern bank of the River Boyne. These Augustinian monks were well known for their hospitals, always building close to an abbey or cathedral so the journey for any sick or injured was not too arduous.
There are many buildings making up the complex of the priory on the south bank, including granaries, breweries and a hall. A three storey tower, said to have been home to the prior, is the highest, still-standing structure.
After the dissolution of the monasteries, the complex was turned into private homes. These homes were often abandoned by their tenants or owners, though, after they claimed to see ghosts or terrible visions.
The Cathedral of St Peter and Paul was built in 1206 by the Anglo-Norman Bishop Simon de Rochfort after his Clonard Cathedral was destroyed by fire. The largest and most impressive cathedral in Ireland at the time, St Peter and Paul’s ruins sit in Newtown Cemetery on the north side of the River Boyne, with part of the original nave and chancel still remaining.
The two sets of remains are connected by St Peters Bridge, a 15th century, five arch structure that leads into the Victorine Friary, on the north side and part of the cathedral complex. The Echo Gate, also in the Victorine Friary, echoes right back any voice called to it from the south side of the river.