Beaulieu House, Gardens & Car Museum:
Beginning life as the estate of a Plunkett castle, from the St Oliver side of the family and built in 1150, Beaulieu House became a Jacobean manor in 1628 before being awarded to Sir Henry Tichbourne. Sir Henry and his successors altered and renovated the building from the mid 17th and early 18th century into the grand house it is now, with a style that cannot be found anywhere else in Ireland.
This magnificent house and grounds can be found approximately two miles east of Drogheda, and provide a beautiful setting for visitors, conferences, weddings or as a photo location. The grounds contain many and varied plant life, as well as possibly the earliest example of a walled garden in Ireland.
The walled garden, thought to have been designed by Willem Van Der Hagen after he settled in Ireland in the 1720s, contains around four acres of landscaped grounds that are filled with rare and beautiful shrubs, trees and flowers.
The late owner of Beaulieu House, Gabriel de Freitas, enjoyed a successful career as a racing driver in the 1960s and 70s, under the name Gabriel Konig, and competed all over the world. On site is her dedicated motor racing museum containing press cuttings and memorabilia, photographs while, of course, her collection of racing and rally saloon cars, along with a few other classic and luxury road cars, takes pride of place.
Guided tours of the House, the walled garden and the motor racing museum are available individually or as a whole package.